Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Any gas, such as carbon dioxide, methane, or CFCs, that contributes to the greenhouse effect when released into the atmosphere.
- Hyponyms: water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, NOx, ozone, CFC, HCFC, HFC
- Termites and cows account for much greenhouse gas.
- Only two greenhouse gases get much attention.
- 2019, George Monbiot, “Cars are killing us. Within 10 years, we must phase them out”, in The Guardian:
- In other sectors, greenhouse gas emissions have fallen sharply. But transport emissions in the UK have declined by only 2% since 1990.
- 2023 March 22, 'Industry Insider', “Restoring Your Railway”, in RAIL, number 979, page 68:
- The consequences were catalogued by the Royal Commission for Environmental Pollution in 1994, which recommended several measures to constrain the emission of greenhouse gases.
any gas that contributes to the greenhouse effect