Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: mindboggling
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmaɪndˌbɒɡ(ə)lɪŋ/
- (General American) enPR: mīndʹbäg'lĭng, IPA(key): /ˈmaɪndˌbɑɡlɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: mind-bog‧gl‧ing
- That causes the mind to boggle; that is beyond one's ability to understand or figure out.
- Synonyms: astounding, bewildering, bogglesome, (obsolete) inexcogitable, mind-blowing, mystifying, overwhelming, stupefying, unimaginable
- Faced with a mind-boggling selection of special-purpose shampoos, he gave up and simply purchased something inexpensive with a pleasant fragrance.
- 1980, J. Gordon Ogden, III, “Late Quaternary Palaeoenvironments of Eastern Canada”, in C. R. Harington, editor, Syllogeus (Series; no. 26), Ottawa, Ont.: National Museum of Natural Sciences, ISSN 0704-576X, OCLC 1012339070, page 226:
- Concurrent with the development of these techniques is the proliferation of large computers able to manipulate massive data sets with mind-boggling ease.
- 2001 November 30, [Bill] Nelson, “[SENATE—Friday, November 30, 2001] The Economic Stimulus Package”, in Congressional Record: Proceedings and Debates of the 107th Congress, First Session, volume 147, part 17, Washington, D.C.: United States Government Printing Office, OCLC 22840665, page 23620, column 3:
- [S]ince the end of September, the average daily unemployment claims for Florida have risen by 55 percent, translatin into approximately 50,000 more Floridians applying for unemployment benefits. That is mind-boggling. That is staggering.
- 2012, J. M. MacDonald, “Mindboggling Revelations”, in The Coins of Cyrus: A Novel, [Morrisville, N.C.]: Lulu.com, →ISBN, page 659:
- Davie opened his eyes but had no idea where he was or if in fact he was still alive. After the realization of lying in his truck bunk had taken hold, he quickly turned to see if he'd dreamt up the whole mindboggling affair and by the grace of God was still parked in Wales.
- 2016, Michael J. Rosen, “Greetings from Ms. Mary Math!”, in Mind-boggling Numbers, Minneapolis, Minn.: Millbrook Press, Lerner Publishing Group, →ISBN, page 3:
- Ever since I was young, whenever something involving arithmetic came along, friends and even grown-ups would say, "Oh just give the math to Mary." Before long, my nickname had become Ms. Mary Math. And today, I'm the go-to wiz for mind-boggling math questions.
- 2017 June 26, Alexis Petridis, “Glastonbury 2017 verdict: Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Lorde, Stormzy and more”, in The Guardian, London, archived from the original on 12 March 2018:
- Chief among the dire presentiments was the suggestion that the ascension of Labour to power would result in Radiohead ceasing touring and instead taking up a residency at a Las Vegas resort. The image of Thom Yorke serenading Sin City’s high rollers with a rousing chorus of Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors was mind-boggling, but you could see why some press went on the offensive.
- 2022 October 5, Nick Brodrick, “Pendolinos: a huge role to play”, in RAIL, number 967, page 38:
- At the last count in late July, the accumulated mileage of the Pendolino had notched a mind-boggling 287,859,672 (unit 390132 City of Birmingham topping the charts with 5,482,316 miles having passed under its wheels).
that causes the mind to boggle