Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To come to understand; to discover or find a solution; to deduce.
- As soon as I figure out what is wrong with my car, I will fix it.
2012 May 27, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “New Kid On The Block” (season 4, episode 8; originally aired 11/12/1992)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- In a bid to understand the eternal mystery that is woman, Bart goes to the least qualified possible source for advice and counsel: his father, who remarkably seems to have made it to his mid-30s without quite figuring out much of anything.
- (idiomatic) To calculate.
- We'd already figured out that the trip would cost $1,000.
come to understand
to calculate — see calculate