mis- + recognize
misrecognize (third-person singular simple present misrecognizes, present participle misrecognizing, simple past and past participle misrecognized)
- (psychology, computing) To recognize in error
- 2006, Mary Klages, Literary Theory, ISBN 0826490735, page 80:
- This process of misrecognizing one's self in the image in the mirror creates the ego, the entity that says 'I.'
- (sociology) To deliberately fail to recognize, or pretend to do so
- 2007, Carolyn L. Hsu, Creating Market Socialism, ISBN 0822340364, page 151:
- When people did participate in blat practice, they misrecognized their actions through narratives of friendship (Ledeneva 2003:12).