Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌmɪsʌndəˈstændɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌmɪsʌndɚˈstændɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ændɪŋ
- Hyphenation: mis‧un‧der‧stand‧ing
misunderstanding (plural misunderstandings)
- A mistake as to the meaning of something or a specific point of view; erroneous interpretation or comprehension; misconception.
- 1965, Haile Selassie, African Liberation Day speech:
- Because of misunderstandings among certain member states of the Organization of African Unity's voices have been occasionally raised recently against the convocation of the Assembly in Accra. Nonetheless, the regular Assembly of the Heads of State and Government was, in the first place, designed to find peaceful solutions, through deliberations and frank exchange of views to such misunderstandings among member-states.
- A disagreement; difference of opinion; dissension; quarrel.
- 1899 February, Joseph Conrad, “The Heart of Darkness”, in Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine, volume CLXV, number M, New York, N.Y.: The Leonard Scott Publishing Company, […], →OCLC, part I, page 198:
- It was only months and months afterwards, when I made the attempt to recover what was left of the body, that I heard the original quarrel arose from a misunderstanding about some hens.
- “misunderstanding”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “misunderstanding”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
Unadapted borrowing from English misunderstanding.
misunderstanding m (invariable)
- English 5-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ændɪŋ/5 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- English non-lemma forms
- English verb forms
- Italian terms borrowed from English
- Italian unadapted borrowings from English
- Italian terms derived from English
- Italian 5-syllable words
- Italian terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:Italian/ɛndinɡ/5 syllables
- Italian lemmas
- Italian nouns
- Italian indeclinable nouns
- Italian countable nouns
- Italian masculine nouns
- Italian informal terms
- Italian neologisms