Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈmɒl.ɪˌkɒd.əl/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈmɑl.iˌkɑd.əl/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒdəl
mollycoddle (plural mollycoddles)
- (now rare) A person, especially a man or a boy, who is pampered and overprotected.
- 2004, Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage:
- No matter what pacifist "flubdubs and flapdoodle mollycoddles" might say, the President [Teddy Roosevelt] knew that if there were a general war then America could well be drawn into it.
person who is pampered and overprotected
- (transitive) To be overprotective and indulgent toward; to pamper.
- 1904, Sabine Baring-Gould, The White Flag:
- Heerendorp by this means obtained an evil notoriety, and it was ordered to be burnt, and the women of Jacob's family to be transferred to a concentration camp where they would be mollycoddled at the expense of the English taxpayer.
- Oct 13th 2012, “Policy prescriptions: A True Progressivism”, in The Economist:
- Rich countries also need more competition in traditionally mollycoddled sectors such as education.
to be overprotective and indulgent toward