Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
monoline (plural monolines)
- (business) A company operating in only one industry or line of business; often specifically a bank specializing in credit card issuance.
- (finance) An insurer specialized in insuring investment-grade securities against loss.
- (calligraphy) A font line of consistent width, as occurs when imitating pencil script.
1984, Margaret Shepherd, Calligraphy Now, page 31:
- […] monolines appear everywhere in the art of the Western letter, and have shaped the alphabet's development as much as the edged line of the broad pen.
- (aquaculture) A length of monofilament line, used for culturing forms of seaweed.
1982, Jose Rodolfo Lim, Farming the Ocean (the Genu Story), page 73:
- A module consists of 21 monolines; a monoline on the other hand is 20 feet (6 m) long and consists of a nylon line plus 3 stakes— 2 at both ends and one at the middle— and 30 plants.
- (printing, dated) A type of composing machine in which each line of type is cast as a single slug.
- (spectroscopy) A single spectrum line.
2007, V.A. Shabashov et al., “Deformation-induced transformations in nitride layers formed in bcc iron”, in Materials Science and Engineering: A, volume 452, DOI:10.1016/j.msea.2006.11.071, pages 575-583:
- The spectrum of the MS sample also includes the central broad singlet of the nitrous austenite, which is simulated as the superposition of a monoline and a doublet.