Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: morning-gift
Normalisation (after morning and gift) of Middle English morgengive, morhȝive, from Old English morgenġifu, morgenġiefu (“morning gift”), from Proto-Germanic *murgnagebō (“morning gift”), equivalent to morning + gift. Cognate with Dutch morgengave (“morning gift”), German Morgengabe (“morning gift”).
morning gift (plural morning gifts)
- A gift traditionally given in some (especially Germanic) cultures by the husband to his wife on the first morning after they were married.
gift given by husband to wife upon first morning of marriage
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms inherited from Old English
- English terms derived from Old English
- English terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- English terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English multiword terms