- (countable) Something that is obscene.
- Martha wouldn't go into the art museum because, as she put it, "They have obscenities just sitting out, on display!"
- (countable) An act of obscene behaviour.
- Bestiality was outlawed as an obscenity in the strongly conservative community.
- (countable) Specifically, an offensive word; a profanity; a dirty word.
- Eliza couldn't stand her daughter's music; as she saw it, it was just shouted obscenities and a heavy drum beat.
- (uncountable) The qualities that make something obscene; lewdness, indecency, or offensive behaviour.
- The coalition of religious conservatives was campaigning against, in their view, rampant obscenity in the entertainment industry.
something that is obscene