Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To specify in excessive detail.
- The customer overspecified the requirements and now we're contractually required to build it this way. Does he think he's an engineer?
- To specify excessive capability.
- As usual the customer overspecified the requirements, it's like asking for a car that seats 20 and fits in a compact car's parking space.
- To provide redundant or inconsistent information.
- An overspecified truth table contains at least one decision that will never be executed because it is already specified in a previous decision...
- A noun phrase is overspecified when it is used in a context where a pronoun would have been unambiguous.
- (specify in excessive detail): underspecify