Jump to navigation Jump to search
paperweight (plural paperweights)
- A small, decorative, somewhat weighty object placed on one or more pieces of paper to keep them from fluttering away.
- 2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, in American Scientist:
- The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone, essentially what today we might term a frameless magnifying glass or plain glass paperweight.
- Any object for this purpose.
- John used his coffee mug as a paperweight.
- (slang) An otherwise useless piece of equipment.
small, decorative, somewhat weighty object
any object for this purpose