Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Favouring peace rather than conflict; not aggressive, tending to avoid violence (of people, actions etc.). [from 14th c.]
- 1999 December 29, Faisal Bodi, The Guardian:
- But in the Muslim world we are dealing with regimes who have banished, imprisoned, silenced or neutralised all opposition, even where this is entirely peaceable.
- 2011 February 8, ‘Feeling understandably twitchy’, The Economist:
- But if you talk to people here privately, they suggest there are three possible scenarios. The first (intended to sound incredible) is that Israel’s biggest neighbour will be transformed into a peaceable, pluralist democracy.
- Characterized by peace; peaceful, tranquil. [from 14th c.]
- Though unusual in the Dublin area he knew that it was not by any means unknown for desperadoes who had next to nothing to live on to be abroad waylaying and generally terrorising peaceable pedestrians by placing a pistol at their head [...].
in favour of peace — see also peaceful
characterized by peace — see also peaceful