Jump to navigation Jump to search
From the image of a genteel woman clutching her pearl necklace in shock.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, derogatory) Prim, prudish, or easily offended.
- 2007, Amanda Marcotte, It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments, Seal Press, →ISBN, page 141:
- When John Kerry “outed” Mary Cheney in a 2004 presidential debate, it was already well known that Mary Cheney was a lesbian. You can't out the already out, no matter what pearl-clutching pundits would have you believe.
- 2013, Jeff Smith, Jessica Abel, Matt Madden, editors, The Best American Comics 2013, Houghton Mifflin, →ISBN, page 362:
- There's something truly irresistible about the pearl-clutching cartoons that came out during the time people thought women on bicycles were single-handedly going to bring society to ruin.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:pearl-clutching.