Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: poké salad
- (Hawaiian poke): poké salad
- (pokeweed salad): poke salet, poke salat, polk salad
poke (“cubed raw fish”) or poke (“pokeweed”) + salad
poke salad (plural poke salads)
- A food made from diced raw fish, seasoning, diced fruit and vegetables, and sometimes rice.
- Synonym: poke bowl
- A food made from boiled pokeweed leaves, which are poisonous unless cooked properly.
- 1921, T. S. Stribling, Birthright:
- The Harvard man went back into the kitchen and sat down at a rickety table covered with a red-checked oil-cloth. On it were spread the spoiled ham, a dish of poke salad, a corn pone, and a pot of weak coffee.
- 2013, Carole J. Skelly, Dictionary of Herbs, Spices, Seasonings, and Natural Flavorings, Routledge, →ISBN:
- Whereas to most people, “salad” is made with raw greens, “poke salad” shoots and greens must be cooked, the cooking water changed and discarded several times. […] There are many documented deaths from eating improperly prepared “poke salad.”
- poke (Hawaiian dish) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia