Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
You can help Wiktionary by providing a proper etymology.
pollum (plural pollums)
- (metrology, obsolete) A historic unit of weight used in India, equal to 1 ounce plus 3.25 drams.
1799 April 1, James Anderson, Recreations in Agriculture, Natural-History, Arts, and Miscellaneous Literature, page 6:
- For this kind of work, and for the quantity of lime above mentioned, about ten pollums (the pollum ten pagodas weight) of sugar is commonly used.
1831, P. Kelly, The Universal Cambist and Commercial Instructor:
- In the District south of Quilon to Tavallay, a Five Pollum weight is used for weighing cotton, thread, tamarinds, jagherry, &c. which weight answers to 5848.3 gr. and is thus divided […]
- indefinite dative plural of polli
- indefinite dative plural of pollur