Jump to navigation Jump to search
predecease (plural predeceases)
- The death of one person or thing before another.
- 1886 January 5, Robert Louis Stevenson, “Remarkable Incident of Doctor Lanyon”, in Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, London: Longmans, Green, and Co., OCLC 762755901, pages 59–60:
- ‘Private: for the hands of J. G. Utterson alone and in case of his predecease to be destroyed unread,’ so it was emphatically superscribed; and the lawyer to behold the contents.
- (transitive) To die sooner than.
- Husbands usually predecease their wives.