Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɝpəsli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɜːpəsli/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: pur‧pose‧ly
- On purpose; intentionally.
- 1598, Benjamin Jonson [i.e., Ben Jonson], “Euery Man in His Hvmovr. […]”, in The Workes of Ben Jonson (First Folio), London: […] Will[iam] Stansby, published 1616, OCLC 960101342, Act II, scene i, page 21:
- [T]hey would ſay [...] that I had quarrell'd / My brother purpoſely, thereby to finde / An apt pretext, to baniſh them my houſe.
on purpose; intentionally