Jump to navigation Jump to search
- simple past tense and past participle of
received (not comparable)
- Generally accepted as correct or true.
- 1650, Thomas Browne, Pseudodoxia Epidemica: […], 2nd edition, London: […] A. Miller, for Edw[ard] Dod and Nath[aniel] Ekins, […], OCLC 152706203:
- And therefore as though there were any feriation in nature or justitiums imaginable in professions, whose subject is natural, and under no intermissive, but constant way of mutation, this season is commonly termed the physician's vacation, and stands so received by most men.
- 2012, Robin Wilkinson, Western Mail, Oct 30 2012
- The old saying goes that we should not judge a man until we have walked a mile in his shoes. As with so much received wisdom – from judging books by their covers to the relative exchange rate for birds in hands and bushes – this is of course rubbish.