Jump to navigation Jump to search
remittance (countable and uncountable, plural remittances)
- The act of sending money to someone.
- remittance advice ― a letter informing that an invoice has been paid
- Money which is sent to someone, typically to someone in another country.
- Money sent by a foreign worker back to their home country.
- 2016, Zadie Smith, Swing Time, Hamish Hamilton, page 203:
- It had been built on remittances, Lamin told me, sent back by a local young man who had been doing well, driving a cab in Amsterdam, until his luck changed and the money abruptly stopped.
- Nowadays the last sense is the most common.
- Not to be confused with remittence (“a temporary abatement of symptoms”).
The act of sending money to someone.
Money which is sent to someone.