Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Roselle
Uncertain. Perhaps an alteration or misapprehension of French oseille denoting this plant, specific use of oseille sorrel; perhaps compare also sorrel.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɹəʊˈzɛl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɹoʊˈzɛl/
Audio (US) (file)
roselle (countable and uncountable, plural roselles)
- Hibiscus sabdariffa, an edible flower in the hibiscus family used to make hibiscus tea.
- Synonyms: bissap, jamaica, (India) putwa, Guinea sorrel, red sorrel, sorrel
- I planted some roselle in the garden so I can start making my own hibiscus tea instead of relying on processed agua de jaimaica powders.
- 1993, Y.P.S. Bajaj, Medicinal and Aromatic Plants V, page 218:
- Roselle has also been used as a source of plant fiber called roselle hemp.
- ^ Henry Yule; A[rthur] C[oke] Burnell (1903), “roselle”, in William Crooke, editor, Hobson-Jobson […] , London: John Murray, […], page 770, column 1.
- ^ “roselle”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–2022.
- English terms with unknown etymologies
- English terms derived from French
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with quotations
- en:Mallow subfamily plants
- en:Spices and herbs