rub up on
- (slang) To rub one's body against another person as a form of sexual stimulation or flirting.
2004, Billy Jones, Everyday Folks: Short Stories on the Common People, →ISBN, page 7:
- Had to let it know that I still had baller status. So when I was on the dance floor, busting my moves, I didn't mind the shorty with the tight, tight blue mini-skirt who was rubbing up on me and leading me on.
2007, Tim Burke & Michael Burke, Die Happy: 499 Things Every Guy's Gotta Do While He Still Can, →ISBN:
- Others you may flee from immediately because an ugly drunk girl keeps rubbing up on you.
2014, Davide Enia, On Earth as It Is in Heaven: A Novel, →ISBN, page 211:
- There, now they're hugging, the referee breaks them up, but don't you find it disgusting to see a couple of boxers rubbing up on each other?
- To stimulate, interact, or resonate with.
2011, Regina D. Jemison, Soul Clothes, →ISBN, page 36:
- The poetry, prose and personality in Soul Clothes, may rub up on a curious and compassionate place within you, a place of stark reality drenched in divine hope.
2011, Gareth Creer, Cradle To Grave, →ISBN:
- It is a change for the better, to rub up on the ugliness of the place, see the stains it leaves.
2012 June 26, Genevieve Koski, “Music: Reviews: Justin Bieber: Believe”, in The Onion AV Club:
- But musical ancestry aside, the influence to which Bieber is most beholden is the current trends in pop music, which means Believe is loaded up with EDM accouterments, seeking a comfortable middle ground where Bieber’s impressively refined pop-R&B croon can rub up on techno blasts and garish dubstep drops (and occasionally grind on some AutoTune, not necessarily because it needs it, but because a certain amount of robo-voice is expected these days).
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see rub, up, on.