Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /sæk.ɹəˈlɪd͡ʒ.əs/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /sæk.ɹəˈlɪd͡ʒ.əs/, /sæk.ɹəˈlid͡ʒəs/
- Rhymes: -ɪd͡ʒəs, -iːd͡ʒəs
- Committing sacrilege; acting or speaking very disrespectfully toward what is held to be sacred.
- 1831, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], chapter II, in Romance and Reality. […], volume III, London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, […], →OCLC, page 26:
- At one end of the room was spread a square carpet, and on it stood a table, on which were placed two most sacrilegious-looking wax-tapers: it is to be feared some poor sinner stayed longer in purgatory from the abduction of his offering.