set to work
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (intransitive, idiomatic) To begin working.
- As soon as he got home, he went to his desk and set to work.
- Everyday he sets to work at the new assignments.
- (intransitive, idiomatic, with gerund) To begin working at.
- As soon as I could, I set to work making the entries.
- (transitive) To cause to begin working.
- I will immediately set them to work.
- I was setting the children to work cleaning their rooms.
- I set the pump to work getting the water out of the basement.