Jump to navigation Jump to search
severally (not comparable)
- c. 1605–1608, William Shakespeare, “The Life of Tymon of Athens”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: […] Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act II, scene ii], page 85, column 1:
- I will diſpatch you ſeuerally. You to Lord Lucius, to Lord Lucullus you, I hunted with his Honor to-day; [...]
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, 1 Corinthians 12:8–11:
- For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
- 1912, James Stephens, The Crock of Gold, New York: MacMillan, 1926, Book V, p. 229, 
- The policemen severally presented him with a pipe, a tin of tobacco, two boxes of matches and a dictionary, and then they withdrew leaving him to his own devices.
- 1938, Xavier Herbert, Capricornia, New York: D. Appleton-Century, 1943, Chapter X, p. 162, 
- As it was, they were unable to discuss the details severally as they would have done had murder not become thus wholesale.
- (Africa) Several times, repeatedly
- 2012, Business Daily (Kenya), 12 November, 2012, 
- It tells them that those rules can be broken; and certainly they will break them, not once or twice but severally.
- 2016, Nigeria Today, 29 April, 2016, 
- It was at the point of confronting Alaba, who had been warned severally along with other tenants, that Ogunyemi met her demise.
- 2012, Business Daily (Kenya), 12 November, 2012,