Jump to navigation Jump to search
sinking (plural sinkings)
- The process by which something sinks, or is sunk.
- I witnessed the sinking of my ship from the shore.
- 1857, Pamphlets on Biology: Kofoid collection:
- We must endeavour to realize a succession of gradual sinkings or depressions into deep water, alternating with gradual emergings into shallows, and eventually a gradual continued lifting of the whole district […]
- 2022 August 10, “Network News: New maintenance tunnel at Euston”, in RAIL, number 963, page 21:
- The excavation took 16 months of 24-hour working to complete and required the sinking of a 65ft shaft, from where workers carved out the passageway and lined it with reinforced steel and sprayed concrete.
The instance of a ship foundering and disappearing underwater.