See also: smart-money
- Experienced, well-informed investors, gamblers etc considered as a group.
- The money invested or bet by such people; by extension, the opinions of such people.
- The smart money is on a half percent cut in the basic bank lending rates before the end of the week.
- Money paid by a person to buy himself off from some unpleasant engagement or some painful situation.
- (military, historical) Money allowed to soldiers or sailors, in the English service, for wounds and injuries received; also, a sum paid by a recruit, previous to being sworn in, to procure his release from service.
- (law) Vindictive or exemplary damages; damages beyond a full compensation for the actual injury done.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Burrill to this entry?)