Jump to navigation Jump to search
Probable calque of the German Sprachgemeinschaft.
- (linguistics) A group of people sharing a language, or a particular way of using that language
- 1897, William Pierce Shepard, A contribution to the history of the unaccented vowels in Old French, page 17:
- The phonetic laws always work without the consciousness of the speech community in which they act ; they are due wholly to physiological causes acting unknown to the will of the individual speaker.
- 2006, Mary Barrett & Marilyn Davidson, Gender and Communication at Work, page 271:
- Research indicates that men and women in the mainstream US culture tend to form separate speech communities.