Jump to navigation Jump to search
statolith (plural statoliths)
- A specialized form of amyloplast involved in graviperception by plant roots and most invertebrates.
- 2002, David Randall, Eckert Animal Physiology, page 242:
- The statolith is either acquired from the animal's surroundings or secreted by the epithelial cells of the statocyst.
- 2017, Danna Staaf, Squid Empire, ForeEdge, →ISBN, page 110:
- When the squid (or other cephalopod) accelerates, the statolith is pressed back in its “seat” like a person in a car.
amyloplast involved in graviperception