Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: stuffed-shirt
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic, informal) One who is pompous or self-important, especially one who is officious in a position of authority.
- 1941, Herman J. Mankiewicz; Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, RKO Radio Pictures, spoken by Jedediah Leland (Joseph Cotten):
- Bernstein, am I a stuffed shirt? Am I a horse-faced hypocrite? Am I a New England school marm?
- (usually hyphenated) Used attributively.
- 2000 July 10, Frederik Balfour, “Return of a Hong Kong Highflier”, in BusinessWeek:
- The opportunistic style that was the bank's trademark still prevails and continues to attract talented young Hong Kongers looking for an alternative to the stuffed-shirt culture of most U.S. and European banks.
one who is overly-officious