From Middle English sworen, isworen, from Old English sworen, ġesworen, from Proto-West Germanic *swaran, *giswaran, from Proto-Germanic *swaranaz, past participle of Proto-Germanic *swarjaną (“to swear”), equivalent to swear + -en.
- (General American) IPA(key): /swɔɹn/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /swɔːn/
- (rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /swo(ː)ɹn/
- (non-rhotic, without the horse–hoarse merger) IPA(key): /swoən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)n
sworn (not comparable)
- Given or declared under oath.
- His sworn statement convinced the judge.
- Bound as though by an oath.
- Ardent, devout.
- a sworn foe
- a sworn socialist