- Present participle of tail.
tailing (plural tailings)
- The act of following someone.
- (architecture) The part of a projecting stone or brick inserted in a wall.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Gwilt to this entry?)
- (obsolete) sexual intercourse
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Chaucer to this entry?)
- (obsolete) The lighter parts of grain separated from the seed by threshing and winnowing; chaff.
- A prolongation of current in a telegraph line, due to capacity in the line and causing signals to run together.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.