- (euphemistic) The devil.
- She can go to the dickens for what she said.
- Used as an intensifier.
- Why the dickens did he do that?
- It is cold as the dickens out here!
- 1918, Burroughs, Edgar Rice, chapter IV, in The Land That Time Forgot:
- "That's it," I exclaimed, "--that's just the taste exactly, though I haven't experienced it since boyhood; but how can water from a flowing stream, taste thus, and what the dickens makes it so warm? It must be at least 70 or 80 Fahrenheit, possibly higher."