Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Characterised or marked by torture; torturous
- 2000, Steven Siebert, Cleopatra's Needle:
- I was able to make a grab at the center rope with my toes. After a torturesome struggle, I pulled myself upright again. I hung there for a few seconds, then turned to see my Braves shouting encouragement and sending up birdlike wails.
- 2012, Douglas Graham, The 80/10/10 Diet:
- Instead of being a palate-tingling delight, these complex-carbohydrate foods in their natural state are a torturesome affair.