Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
This etymology is incomplete. You can help Wiktionary by elaborating on the origins of this term.
- To transfer the creative elements of a work into another culture or language.
1961, Writers Workshop, page 29:
- At a guess, this is a later and more successful development from the earlier attempts to transcreate abstract Indian imagery into English
1986 October 20, “Agency Mulls Economic Question”, in South Florida Sun-Sentinel:
- "We need someone to trans-create, rather than translate our advertising for the Hispanic market, especially in Dade," said Sandy Tapper, NCNB advertising
1988, World Englishes: WE., volume 7-8, page 331:
- Even Raja Rao's, Serpent and the Rope, is much less successful in its attempt to transcreate a Sanskrit structure into English.
2004, Sujit Mukherjee; Meenakshi Mukherjee, Translation as recovery, page 140:
- ... saying under my breath as it were: Let him transcreate as much as he likes but allow me merely to translate.