Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- creäte (archaic)
- (transitive) To put into existence.
2013 June 8, “The new masters and commanders”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 52:
- From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. […] But viewed from high up in one of the growing number of skyscrapers in Sri Lanka’s capital, it is clear that something extraordinary is happening: China is creating a shipping hub just 200 miles from India’s southern tip.
- According to the Bible, God created the universe in six days.
- You can create the color orange by mixing yellow and red.
- (transitive) To design, invest with a new form, shape, etc.
2013 June 21, Oliver Burkeman, “The tao of tech”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 2, page 48:
- The dirty secret of the internet is that all this distraction and interruption is immensely profitable. Web companies like to boast about "creating compelling content", […] "share the things you love with the world" and so on. But the real way to build a successful online business is to be better than your rivals at undermining people's control of their own attention.
- Couturiers create exclusive garments for an affluent clientele.
- (intransitive) To be creative, imaginative.
- Children usually enjoy creating, never mind if it is of any use!
- (transitive) To cause, bring a (non-object) about by action.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 7, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- The turmoil went on—no rest, no peace. […] It was nearly eleven o'clock now, and he strolled out again. In the little fair created by the costers' barrows the evening only seemed beginning; and the naphtha flares made one's eyes ache, the men's voices grated harshly, and the girls' faces saddened one.
- A sudden chemical spill on the highway created a chain‐collision which created a record traffic jam.
- (transitive) To confer a title of nobility, not by descent, but by giving a title either initiated or restored for the incumbent.
- Henry VIII created him a Duke.
- (transitive) To confer a cardinalate, which can not be inherited, but most often bears a pre‐existent title (notably a church in Rome).
- Under the concordate with Belgium, at least one Belgian clergyman must be created cardinal; by tradition, every archbishop of Mechelen is thus created a cardinal.
- (transitive, colloquial) To make a fuss, complain; to shout.
terms related to create
to put into existence
to design, invest with a new form, shape etc.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
created — see created
- create in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- create in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- Create on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- second-person plural indicative present of creare
- second-person plural imperative of creare