Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: re-create
- (transitive) To give new life, energy or encouragement (to); to refresh, enliven.
- Painters, when they work on white grounds, place before them colours mixed with blue and green, to recreate their eyes, white wearying […] the sight more than any.
- Dr H. More
- These ripe fruits recreate the nostrils with their aromatic scent.
- (reflexive) To enjoy or entertain oneself.
1621, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069:, II.ii.3:
- In Italy, though they bide in cities in winter, which is more gentlemanlike, all the summer they come abroad to their country-houses, to recreate themselves.
- Jeremy Taylor
- St. John, who recreated himself with sporting with a tame partridge
- (intransitive) To take recreation.
to enjoy or entertain oneself