Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Short for turpentine.
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)ps
- (informal) Turpentine or turpentine substitute.
- (slang, Australia, New Zealand) Any alcoholic drink.
2005, Paul Smitz, Australia & New Zealand on a Shoestring, page 72:
- Generally, big nights on the turps take place in The Rocks and around Kings Cross — where you'll hear and smell the action pretty quickly.
2006, Gregor Paul, Hard Men Fight Back: Kiwi Sportsmen Who Beat the Odds to Live Their Dream, page 199:
- Crazy sessions on the turps were all part of the culture.
2010, Alex Bartoli, Rachel: A Story of Obsessive Love : A Novel, page 110:
- She caught my eye, and called out, “Just showing off the studio. Keep the turps flowing.”