Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In an understanding manner; with empathy.
- 1965, James Holledge, What Makes a Call Girl?, London: Horwitz Publications, page 101:
- [T]he proprietor smiled understandingly.
- (obsolete) In a way that can be understood; intelligibly.
- 1624, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd edition, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 54573970:, vol.I, New York, 2001, p.232:
- Garcias ab Horto writes of one whom he saw at Goa in the East Indies, that took ten drams of opium in three days; and yet consulto loquebatur, spake understandingly […]