Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- In an unsteady manner, so as to shake or falter.
- He climbed the stairs unsteadily, grasping the banister and gasping for breath.
- 1936, F.J. Thwaites, chapter XX, in The Redemption, Sydney: H. John Edwards, published 1940, page 205:
- Terry's fist lashed out, but Simpson, anticipating the blow, stepped quickly to one side. Another followed, however, and caught the older man fairly on the chin, sent him reeling back. He stood swaying unsteadily, a little smile on his lips.
- In an uncertain manner; with hesitation or timidity.