Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To seize power from another, usually by illegitimate means.
- To use and assume the coat of arms of another person.
- (obsolete) To make use of.
- To take the place rightfully belonging to someone or something else.
1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling, London: A[ndrew] Millar, OCLC 928184292:
- Jones answered all his questions with much civility, though he never remembered to have seen the petty-fogger before; and though he concluded, from the outward appearance and behaviour of the man, that he usurped a freedom with his betters, to which he was by no means intitled.
to seize power