vambrace (plural vambraces)
- The piece of armor designed to protect the arm from the elbow to the wrist.
- The pieces of armor protecting the arm from the shoulder to the wrist. Not in common use in this sense,
- 1786, Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page 22,
- 2003, John Marco, The Devil's Armour, 2010, Electronic Edition, unnumbered page,
- Thorin reached out for the vambrace and gauntlet that made up the armour's right arm.
The narrower definition (protection for the lower arm) is preferred by academic authors.
- (protection from elbow to wrist): couter, cowter, lower cannon of vambrace
- (protection from shoulder to wrist): couter, cowter, lower cannon of vambrace, rerebrace, upper cannon of vambrace
piece of armor from elbow to wrist
piece of armor from shoulder to wrist