Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /vɒlənˈtʊəɹɪst/
- (General American) IPA(key): /vɑlənˈtʊəɹɪst/
- Hyphenation: vo‧lun‧tour‧ist
voluntourist (plural voluntourists)
- A tourist who takes part in voluntourism. [from 20th C.]
2014 April 21, Rafia Zakaria, “The white tourist’s burden”, in Al Jazeera America, archived from the original on 14 January 2016:
- As summer looms, many Americans — college students, retirees and others who stand at the cusp of life changes — will make similar choices in search of transformational experiences. An industry exists to make these easier to make: the voluntourism business. A voluntourist is someone like Jack, who wishes to combine exotic vacation travel with volunteer work.
- 2016 October 7th, Rosamund Urwin, “Let’s praise the Jungle’s volunteers” in the i, № 1,831, page 18/5:
I’m not pretending all in the camp are philanthropic angels. On Sunday we saw three “voluntourists”, taking selfies.