Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- vulgarise (non-Oxford British spelling)
- To express or re-express something in a base, common, or lewd manner; to make something commonplace; to make something vulgar.
- 1915: Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out 
- "Yes," said Mr. Flushing. "And in my opinion," he continued, "the absence of population to which Hirst objects is precisely the significant touch. You must admit, Hirst, that a little Italian town even would vulgarise the whole scene, would detract from the vastness — the sense of elemental grandeur."
- 1915: Virginia Woolf, The Voyage Out