Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈwɑt͡ʃɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈwɒtʃɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒtʃɪŋ
- present participle and gerund of
- 2013 June 28, Joris Luyendijk, “Our banks are out of control”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 3, page 21:
- Seeing the British establishment struggle with the financial sector is like watching an alcoholic who still resists the idea that something drastic needs to happen for him to turn his life around.
watching (plural watchings)
- The act of one who watches.
- 1819, John Edwards Caldwell, Christian Herald and Seaman's Magazine, volume 6, page 225:
- What toils and pains; what cares and watchings; how many reproofs, restraints, and corrections; how many prayers, and sighs, and tears, are employed and suffered, before this hard task can be accomplished?