Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
wittol (plural wittols)
- (archaic) A man who knows, condones and even encourages his wife's enjoyment of coitus with another man or men; a contented cuckold.
1621, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069:, New York Review of Books 2001, p.67:
- To see […] a wittol wink at his wife's honesty, and too perspicuous in all other affairs […].
- 1885, Sir Richard Francis Burton, The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night, "Night 13"
- So the Ifrit cried at her, "Thou whorest and makest me a wittol with thine eyes;" and struck her so that her head went flying.
- 1960, John Barth, The Sot-Weed Factor
- God help the husband that obliges his wife's least whim: he'll be a wittol ere he's two years wed!
- (Britain, dialect, obsolete) A bird, the wheatear.