wrong side out
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of a garment, etc, having its inner or hidden side on the outside and vice versa.
- My shirt was on wrong side out.
- (figuratively) Reversed, changed diametrically, by analogy with a garment that is wrong side out.
- 1605, Madam, within, but never man so chang'd. I told him of the army that was landed; He smil'd at it. I told him you were coming; His answer was, "The worse." Of Gloucester's treachery, And of the loyal service of his son, When I inform'd him, then he call'd me sot, And told me I had turn'd the wrong side out. What most he should dislike seems pleasant to him; What like, offensive. — William Shakespeare, King Lear, Act IV, Scene II, line 2.
- (having its inner side on the outside): inside out