Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɔːnɪŋ
- The action of the verb yawn.
- That yawns or yawn.
- yawning commuters
- (figuratively) Wide open.
- 2013 August 3, “The machine of a new soul”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8847:
- The yawning gap in neuroscientists’ understanding of their topic is in the intermediate scale of the brain’s anatomy. Science has a passable knowledge of how individual nerve cells, known as neurons, work. It also knows which visible lobes and ganglia of the brain do what.
- a yawning chasm; the shark's yawning jaws