Jump to navigation Jump to search
yonks pl (plural only)
- (slang, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) A long time (especially a longer time than expected); ages
- 1968 August 27, Christopher Ward, “The Christopher Ward Page”, in Daily Mirror, London, page 7:
- I rang singer Julie Driscoll ... She said: "I haven't heard from you for yonks..."
- 1975 January 28, Bill Stewart, “Comic Cuts”, in Evening Chronicle, number 30393, Newcastle, page 7:
- Alas, the comics for that age group have nearly all picture stories today -- and of course the ones for younger readers have been that way for yonks (sorry, years).
- Haven’t seen him in yonks!
- I’ve been a teacher for yonks—I should really try another career.
- This egg is taking yonks to boil.