you pays your money and you takes your choice
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Each person can make his or her own decisions.
- You can get there by bus, or train, or taxi. Whatever. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
- 1846, “THE MINISTERIAL CRISIS.[cartoon]”, in Punch, page 17:
- Showman. On your right you will perceive a Prime Minister a Bolishing of hisself. And over your left is another Prime Minister a Bolishing of the Corn-Laws. / Master John Bull. But which is the Prime Minister? / Showman. Which ever you please, my little dear. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.
- This phrase is almost always expressed in the nonstandard form: you pays and you takes.