Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|Unicode name||LATIN SMALL LIGATURE IJ|
|Unicode block||Latin Extended-A|
ĳ lower case (upper case Ĳ)
- Ĳ on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- (Latin script): Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz
- (Variations of letter I): Íí Ìì Ĭĭ Îî Ǐǐ Ïï Ḯḯ Ĩĩ Įį Īī Ỉỉ Ȉȉ Ȋȋ Ịị Ḭḭ Ɨɨɨ̆ ᵻ ᶖ İi Iı ɪ Ｉｉ ﬁ ﬃ IJij Ĳĳ
- (Variations of letter J): Ĵĵ Ɉɉ J̌ǰ ȷ ϳ ʝ ɟ ʄ ᴊ Ｊｊ IJij Ĳĳ LJLjlj Ǉǈǉ NJNjnj Ǌǋǌ
- (Letter combinations): Ꜳꜳ Ææ ᴁᴭ Ǽǽ Ǣǣ Ꜵꜵ Åå Ꜷꜷ Ꜹꜹ Ꜻꜻ Ꜽꜽ ct ȸ Ǳǲǳ Ǆǅǆ ᴂᵆ ᴔ & ﬀ ﬁ ﬃ ﬂ ﬄ ℔ Ĳĳ Ǉǈǉ Ỻỻ Ŋŋ Ǌǋǌ Œœ ɶ Ꝏꝏ Ȣȣᴕ ȹ ẞß ﬅﬆ ᵫ Ůů Ww Ꝡꝡ
- A ligature in Dutch that is not officially part of the Dutch alphabet; however, it is capitalized as if it were one.
- In typing, the combination of i and j is commonly used. In handwriting, it is mostly written as ÿ.
- Being a single letter, ĳ has to be capitalized as Ĳ. For example: Ĳmuiden.
- Dutch dictionaries sort ĳ as the combination of i and j, while Dutch phonebooks sort ĳ together with y.
- In certain dialects, the sound ij has retained its original long /i:/ pronunciation. Compare wijf and wief.